Dust Mites

Dust mites are not just dust.  Dust mites are microscopic insects that live in mattresses and pillows and can also live in upholstered furniture/cushions and carpets.  They don’t bite and are harmless to most people.  However, their skin and feces are allergenic and can trigger asthma, nasal allergy, and eczema symptoms in those who are sensitive or allergic to them.  You can get allergy tested to find out if you are allergic to dust mites.
Here are some tips to avoid or reduce dust mite allergy symptoms.

  1.  Get dust mite proof mattress and pillow covers for your bedding.  These are available at most pharmacies and department stores as well as online.
  2. Wash bedding once a week in very hot water (130 F).  If you have kids in the house, skip this step – keep hot water temperature in home less than 120 F to avoid risk of scalding injuries.
  3. Remove carpets.  If unable to remove carpets, have your carpets vacuumed regularly with vacuum that is equipped with HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter.  If possible, avoid vacuumed area for about 20 minutes after vacuuming.
  4. Keep stuffed animal toys out of your kids’ beds, if possible.  Wash and fully dry these toys regularly.
  5. Avoid humidifiers or other things that may increase humidity in bedroom.
  6. Consider HEPA air filter for your bedroom and other rooms.

Leave your thought

1 × three =